The Canadian Transportation Agency showcases another successful year in its 2008-09 Annual Report
OTTAWA — July 22, 2009 — The Canadian Transportation Agency today released its 2008-09 Annual Report. It publication/highlights some of the Agency's recent achievements in making Canada's transportation system more competitive, efficient and accessible.
The Agency carries out its mandate through fair, transparent and timely dispute resolution, essential economic regulation and effective communications with Canadians. Some of these accomplishments include:
- Significantly reducing the backlog of cases carried over from previous years by placing greater emphasis on alternative dispute resolution mechanisms such as facilitation and mediation;
- Decisions by Agency Members resulting in more than 2,600 rulings.
- The release of Guidelines for the Resolution of Complaints Concerning Railway Noise and Vibration following extensive consultation with stakeholders;
- Working with air carriers to ensure compliance with a new requirement to post their terms and conditions of carriage on their Web sites; and,
- Publishing Take Charge of Your Travel -- a guide to help persons with disabilities navigate the transportation system from departure to arrival.
"Last year, we laid the foundation for a more responsive and forward-looking Canadian Transportation Agency," said Geoff Hare, Chair and Chief Executive Officer. "The Annual Report demonstrates how our new organizational structure and clear strategic direction have placed us firmly on the path to continued – and increased – service excellence."
This year's report also demonstrates how the Agency is meeting its performance targets as set out in its 2008-2011 Strategic Plan. Over the next year, the Agency will enhance its outreach to stakeholders and clients in an effort to better understand their needs and continue to improve service delivery.
As in the past, the Agency has compiled the number of applications it receives about the federal transportation system including a breakdown of the types of air-travel complaints. These publication/statistics and the annual report are available on the Agency Web site at www.cta.gc.ca and in multiple formats upon request by calling 1-888-222-2592.
About the Canadian Transportation Agency
The Canadian Transportation Agency is an independent administrative tribunal of the Government of Canada. It is responsible for resolving disputes related to various aspects of transportation, improving access to transportation for persons with disabilities, and making decisions in air, rail and marine transportation as an economic regulator.
For more information, please contact:
Senior Communications Advisor